EarlyEdU Alliance Highlight Webinar
Attend a Highlight Webinar to enhance your practice! Learn about available resources and current work in early childhood education. Highlight Webinars provide an intriguing overview of diverse topics and resources. Register below for an upcoming Highlight Webinar and listen to past recordings.
Upcoming Highlight Webinar
Faculty Ask-Answer-Share with Camille Catlett
Forget about “raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.” We’re creating an opportunity to discover and exchange examples of our favorite things – the videos, activities, assignments, and websites - that early childhood faculty use to spark engaged, high-quality learning. What are the best video sites for faculty to use? What is the most effective assignment you’ve ever asked students to complete? What course resources are you hunting for? We’ll explore these topics when Camille Catlett, creator of Faculty Finds, Baby Talk, Natural Resources and other professional resources, joins us for the Thursday, February 2, 2023 Highlight Webinar. Sign up, submit your resource request, and join in the exchange of ideas.
After registering for the webinar, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Date: Thursday, February 2, 2023
Time: 10–10:45 a.m. PT / 1–2:15 p.m. ET
Past Highlights Webinar Series
- January 5, 2023 Eye on DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion), 32 minutes
The EarlyEdU Alliance is determined to stop the perpetuation of inequality in early childhood education and to develop high-quality materials that honor and support the diversity of our early childhood educators, their students, and families. Join Cultivate Learning’s Eliana Medina, Assistant Director of Integrated Learning, and Maria Eugenia Alvarez, Biliterate Content Specialist, for a discussion of a new tool and the protocols we are using to help ensure EarlyEdU courses provide positive representations of diversity and create teaching and learning spaces that support belonging, equity, and inclusion.
- January 6, 2022 A Conversation with Miriam Calderon
Join us for a conversation with Miriam Calderon, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Policy and Early Learning at the U.S. Department of Education. Miriam will describe key initiatives designed to prepare a qualified early childhood workforce. As part of our conversation, we’ll ask Miriam how institutions of higher education and state-agency leaders can play a part in preparing early educators to effectively meet the challenge for high-quality universal pre-K and other early childhood efforts outlined in the President’s Build Back Better Framework.
- February 10, 2022 Welcome Mike Browne, Senior Director of Community Engagement!
Meet the newest member of the EarlyEdU team and learn about EarlyEdU’s mission to further diversity, equity, and inclusion through our resources, operations, and community engagement. Mike will lead these efforts and a diverse team of early childhood educators, media producers, graphic and instructional designers, and content specialists to ensure EarlyEdU materials honor and support the diversity of our early childhood educators, their students, and families.
- March 3, 2022 Explore the Partnership for Pre-K Improvement Toolkit!
This free and accessible online toolkit can help state leaders, researchers, and advocates develop and sustain high-quality, equitable pre-k programs that produce positive early learning opportunities for every child. Join host Katie Emerson-Hoss and guest Bezawit Semu, Director of Systems Improvement for Partnership for Pre-K Improvement (PPI), to learn how you can use the PPI Toolkit. This webinar will also describe the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation funded five-year collaborative learning strategy between states, research organizations, and advocacy groups (supported by Cultivate Learning, Alliance for Early Success, and Start Early), that resulted in this amazing set of accessible system-building tools.
- April 7, 2022 Online Certificate: Early Childhood and Family Policy
Join Sharon Lynn Kagan, EdD, and Kathy Thornburg, PhD, of Early Childhood Policy in Institutions of Higher Education (ECPIHE), for a conversation with colleagues from Great Plains Interactive Distance Education Alliance (GPIDEA). As a key part of ECPIHE’s effort to provide concrete evidence to support early childhood policy as a recognized field of study, the GPIDEA has created an online certificate in early childhood and family policy across eight colleges and universities. Attend the webinar to learn about the ECPIHE vision, online certificate, and how to get involved!
- May 5, 2022 Fearless Conversations
Join Mike Browne, Cultivate Learning’s Senior Director of Community Engagement, and Nick Terrones, Program Director of Daybreak Star Preschool, as they share stories from Nick’s recently published book, “A Can of Worms: Fearless Conversations with Toddlers.” Toddler-initiated conversations around race, sexuality, and identity offer an unique grounding for an examination of the fearlessness required from all of us to liberate societal systems, policies, programs, and equitably serve educators’ learning needs. How can we best nurture critical thinking and challenge ourselves to normalize and enjoy uncomfortable conversations?
- June 2, 2022 Trauma Informed Care Modules
Join EarlyEdU’s Katie Emerson-Hoss and Cultivate Learning’s Kim Votry and Ikran Ismail to learn more about our new resource: Trauma Informed Care Modules. Discover our community-based trauma informed care training series for early childhood educators. Learn about all the auxiliary materials – Community of practice sessions! Youth podcasts! Somali podcasts! Materials in Spanish! – and how you can use them in higher education coursework, training, and coaching.
- August 4, 2022 New to EarlyEdU
Get ready for your academic year with Allyson Dean, Executive Director, and Katie Emerson-Hoss, Higher Education Outreach and Implementation Manager, as they share meaningful resources and support that come with Alliance membership. This is an excellent opportunity to enhance your practice with the specialized assets and professional community found through your (free!) Alliance membership.
- September 8, 2022 What Were We Thinking?!?
Head back to school with Allyson Dean, Executive Director, and Mike Browne, Senior Director of Community Engagement, as they prepare to teach an online Applied Child Development course through the University of Washington. Allyson and Mike enter the pandemic classroom with big goals and the excitement and uncertainty that comes with new territory. Learn about the tools, resources, and expectations they employ to ensure effective learning and a positive virtual classroom experience for all.
- October 6, 2022 Team UP: Faculty Support
Meet your EarlyEdU Faculty Support Team and discover the resources and opportunities available to our Alliance members! We will introduce some of our team members who share their expertise and time with member faculty, coaches, and trainers. Learn about our new community platforms: EarlyEdU Live and Course Conversations. This short event is packed with the resources and support to enhance your practice!
- November 3, 2022 Trauma Informed Care Modules, Part II
Join Katie Emerson-Hoss, Associate Director for EarlyEdU, as she gives updates on national dissemination of the modules and shares the community of practice materials that accompany each module. Listen in, ask questions, and learn more about how to use the Trauma Informed Care Modules in higher education coursework, training, and coaching.
- December 1, 2022 Early Childhood Policy Graduate Credentials
Join a discussion of exciting efforts to establish Early Childhood Policy (ECP) as a field through the efforts of five institutions of higher education (IHE) centers. Established in conjunction with the Early Childhood Policy in Institutions of Higher Education (ECPIHE) project, these centers seek to create graduate credentials in ECP (e.g., PhDs, MAs, specializations, certificates) and establish diverse forms of institutionalized hubs for early childhood policy work, fieldwork, research, faculty, and students within their IHE. Hear directly from Sharon Lynn Kagan, EdD, and Kathy Thornburg, PhD, of the ECPIHE effort and from center directors to learn how you can get involved in ECP work!
- December 9, 2021 Learning Leaders in Early Childhood Education (ECE)
Learning Leaders in Early Childhood Education (ECE) is our newest competency-based course designed to help early childhood education professionals fully realize their capabilities as leaders, within their communities and beyond, using the 5Rs of Learning Leadership framework. Join host Katie Emerson-Hoss, instructional designer Shar Regisford, and content specialist Anna McAloon to learn how the course emphasizes self-reflection and analysis to promote anti-racist ideas and equitable practices in the domains of relationships, reason, resources, reflective dialogue, and recognition. Our goal is to inspire a commitment to creating and sustaining positive changes in early learning settings that allow staff, children, and families to thrive.
- November 4, 2021 Part Two: Teaching Online with Confidence!
Let's dive into teaching online and our newest faculty professional development offering. From modules covering online communications and time management, to designing for equity and inclusion, faculty and trainers from across the country are using this course to complement the EarlyEdU online courses and enhance their online teaching. Join webinar host Katie Emerson-Hoss and course facilitator Katie Miller, to dig into the course and highlight the resources available to you and your organization!
- October 7, 2021 Part One: Cultivate the EarlyEdU Approach
Take a peek inside our free, self-paced, online course designed to help enrich implementation of the EarlyEdU approach and discover resources to boost teaching and training skills. Webinar host Katie Emerson-Hoss and course facilitator Katie Miller will show you how the course is structured and the available resources. You also will hear conversations among faculty and trainers across the country who effectively use video, provide useful formative feedback, and optimize collaborative learning in virtual and in-person classrooms. This webinar is part one of a two-part series.
- September 09, 2021 Explicit and Intentional: Effective Practices to Prepare Intentional Early Childhood Educators
Join EarlyEdU’s webinar host Katie Emerson-Hoss, and special guest Camille Catlett, Senior Technical Assistance Specialist for UNC Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute, for a discussion on preparing early childhood educators (ECE) for the diverse and equitable classroom. This event will highlight effective practices that can be incorporated into activities, experiences, and assignments to assist ECE students to connect what they learn to thoughtful, evidence-based decision making in their classrooms. HANDOUT: Explicit and Intentional (PDF)
- August 12, 2021 The Vision for Early Childhood Policy In Higher Education
Founders of the Early Childhood Policy in Higher Education (ECPIHE) Initiative, Sharon (Lynn) Kagan, EdD, and Kathy Thornburg, PhD, share the vision that led to the creation of ECPIHE and the Early Childhood Policy Network, their goals for the project, and the future of early childhood policy.30 minutes
- June 10, 2021 Early Childhood Policy in Higher Education (ECPIHE)
Join EarlyEdU’s Katie Emerson-Hoss, PhD, Gail Joseph, PhD and Founding Executive Director (Cultivate Learning/EarlyEdU), and Chris Olsen-Phillips, Project Director for Early Childhood Policy in Institutions of Higher Education (ECPIHE/EarlyEdU), as they describe the new collaboration and resources available to mobilize higher education to build degrees and develop leaders in the field of early childhood policy.
- May 13, 2021 Pennsylvania and EarlyEdU
Join EarlyEdU’s Katie Emerson-Hoss, PhD, and this month’s guest Jennifer Pyles, PhD, Assistant Professor at Shippensburg University, to learn how Pennsylvania has used EarlyEdU resources to realign and build an integrated system of professional development and higher education.
- April 08, 2021 What's New in EarlyEdU?
Prepare for the April 1, 2021 launch of EarlyEdU’s new membership structure and webpages. Join EarlyEdU’s Dr. Katie Emerson-Hoss to learn about the new membership structure, resources, and support. Take a tour of the new webpages and explore all that EarlyEdU offers!
- March 11, 2021 Inclusion: Resources and Ideas for Educators
Join EarlyEdU’s Dr. Katie Emerson-Hoss and University of Washington’s Dr. Jennifer Fung for an overview of available resources and strategies for implementing inclusionary practices when working with infants and toddlers. Find out where to access support and tools to create effective systems that lead to positive outcomes for children, their families, and the classroom.
- February 02, 2021 Dual Language Learners: Resources and Ideas for Educators
With Dr. Katie Emerson-Hoss for an overview of available resources and strategies for promoting early language and literacy education with children who are dual language learners. Find out where to access support and tools to create effective practices that lead to positive outcomes for children, their families, and the classroom.
- November 12, 2020 Stackable Credits
With Katie Emerson-Hoss, Higher Education Outreach and Implementation Manager, and Juliet Taylor, Senior Director of Programs and Partnerships at Cultivate Learning. Learn how the State of Washington built, aligned, and sequenced stackable certificates for the early learning professional development system. The certificates are tied to the Quality Rating Improvement System (QRIS) and are available in all local colleges across the state that have an early childhood education degree program. This live event is an encore presentation
- October 08, 2020 Building a Virtual Classroom
While the virtual classroom model is known by many names, including HyFlex, Blended, and Bichronous, it always includes asynchronous and synchronous components. Hear EarlyEdU’s Katie Emerson Hoss, Higher Education Outreach and Implementation Manager, and Sharmaine Regisford, Senior Instructional Designer for EarlyEdU, discuss how we are using the essential components of a virtual classroom to meet the affective and pedagogical objectives of our newest course, Culturally Thriving and Socially Just Early Childhood Classrooms.
- June 04, 2020 Utah and EarlyEdU: Partnerships Serving the Early Childhood Workforce
Join EarlyEdU’s Katie Emerson Hoss and Heather Thomas and KC Hutton from the Utah Department for Workforce Services, Office of Child Care, to learn how Utah has used EarlyEdU courses to build pathways for educators to obtain affordable and accessible degrees (“How Free Online College courses Are Changing the Game for Early Childhood Educators,” EdSurge 2019). To follow Utah’s progress with this project, you can revisit our Highlight Webinar from April 2018 where Utah shared Learning Lessons from Utah: Providing Coursework Through Professional Development Systems in Partnership with Institutes of Higher Education.
- May 07, 2020 Using Interactive Media in Early Learning
Are you wondering what direction to give early childhood teachers on how to effectively engage young children with digital media? Are you a teacher and want to know how to best serve young children in a remote environment? These questions are more relevant than ever! Join EarlyEdU’s Katie Emerson Hoss, Higher Education Outreach and Implementation Manager, and Heather O’Leary, Early Childhood Education Content Specialist to explore some of the publicly available resources available to help navigate this new normal. The webinar will highlight top strategies and provide suggestions on adapting materials to fit your teaching or training context.
- April 21, 2020 Mindfulness: A Resilience Practice
Join us for this special webinar where participants will learn mindfulness practices that can build teacher resilience. This applied and engaging learning module will encourage participants to take care of themselves by reducing stress and to optimize their effectiveness as early childhood educators. This captures the notion of teaching from the inside out—a phrase that highlights the importance of promoting core resilience skills among early childhood educators. Resilient educators are more capable of creating and maintaining nurturing, supportive, and effective learning environments while also prioritizing their own well-being. With the completion of this module, participants will have learned how to recognize the negative and positive impacts of stress, use mindfulness practices to help develop calm and centered states, and lead at least one mindfulness practice. To request certificate, please email email@example.com hour 15 minutes
- April 02, 2020 Shift Happens: Making Assignments and Professional Development Explicit on Issues of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Camille Catlett, Advanced Technical Assistance Specialist Emerita at the University of North Carolina's Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute, joins Katie Emerson-Hoss, Higher Education Outreach and Implementation Manager for EarlyEdU, for an information-packed 30 minutes. Shift Happens will help you understand new early childhood content priorities (Transforming the Workforce, Power to the Profession, and the revised Professional Standards and Competencies for Early Childhood Educators), discover tools to create and align assignments to national priorities, and highlight resources that support faculty and professional development providers.
- March 26, 2020 Online Teaching Boot Camp Webinar
Join EarlyEdU’s Katie Emerson Hoss, Higher Education Outreach and Implementation Manager, and Katie Miller, Content Specialist, for a concise and informative how-to on implementing online courses and utilizing available resources. Learn the essentials for effective teaching in a virtual classroom and discover helpful materials and toolkits to make your online course constructive and enjoyable for you and your students. Whether you are an experienced online instructor or are new to the medium, this webinar has the resources and experts to help you build a successful learning experience. This webinar focuses on adult learning and training online.
- March 05, 2020 New Course! Supporting Children Who Are Dual Language Learners
Building the capacity of educators in the early childhood field to be able to respond to the unique needs of children who are dual language learners, birth to age five. The course is designed to enable educators to positively adapt their everyday interactions and environments, gain a deep understanding of language and literacy development, and understand strategies to support learning in any content area.
- February 06, 2020 Stackable Credits in Washington State
Understanding Stackable Credits and how Washington State built, aligned, and sequenced stackable certificates for the early learning professional development system.
No duration available
- January 09, 2020 Head Start’s Coaching Companion (HS Coaching Companion)
Discover the power of the HS Coaching Companion, a free video-sharing and coaching feedback tool for early care and education staff and providers. Hosts Katie Emerson-Hoss, Higher Education Outreach and Implementation Manager, and Leslie Janes, State Implementation Specialist with EarlyEdU describe how this tool helps coaching teams work together, even between visits or from a distance.
- December 05, 2019 Deep Dive into EarlyEdU Infant Mental Health Course with Katie Emerson-Hoss, PhD, and Miriam Hirschstein, PhD, and Director of Evaluation, Barnard Center for Infant Mental Health and Development at the University of Washington, 33 minutes
- November 07, 2019 Transition to Kindergarten: Implementing Effective Transition Practices from Head Start to the Kindergarten Classroom, 29 minutes
- October 03, 2019 Practice-Based Coaching, overview and highlights of this new online course. (No duration available)
- September 05, 2019 Using Peer Learning Groups and Providing Effective Feedback, 31 minutes
- August, 2019 - No Webinar, No duration available
- July 11, 2019 The New EarlyEdU Alliance Media Library
Discover Resources to Support Quality Teaching Practices. Join our library designers for an introduction to the new media library. The resources are vast, but the search is simple. Explore library features that will allow you to find free, relevant materials for your courses, presentations, and professional development.
- June 06, 2019 Custom Coaching Companion: A Customized Video Uploading and Annotation Tool to Increase and Enhance Coaching, 32 minutes
- May 02, 2019 Higher Education Teaching Practices: Using video to support learning, connection, and community online, 28 minutes
- April 04, 2019 Family Engagement, 30 minutes
- March 07, 2019 Discover Circle Time Magazine Season 2: Positive March 3/7/2019 Behavior Support (PBS), 31 minutes
- February 07, 2019 Preschool Development Grant: Resources to Support Early Childhood Systems Work, 33 minutes
- December 06, 2018 Learning Languages: Resources to Support Language Development in Young Children, 30 minutes
- November 01, 2018 Close up on Assessment: Competency based course work to support effective assessment in early care and education, 22 minutes
- October 04, 2018 Family Engagement Course Overview, 25 minutes
- September 06, 2018 Resilience and Wellness: Using EarlyEdU courses and modules to support the early care and education workforce, 29 minutes
- August 08, 2018 EarlyEdU Multimedia Resource Library30 minutesMay5/3/2018Culturally Responsive Teaching: Faculty Resources, Reflections, and Redesign, 31 minutes
- April 05, 2018 Learning Lessons from Utah: Providing Coursework Through PD Systems in Partnership with IHEs, 32 minutes
- March 01, 2018 Explore the Multimedia Guidebook for Transforming the Early Education Workforce, 29 minutes
- February 01, 2018 Deep Dive: Child Observation and Assessment, 17 minutes
- November 02, 2017 EarlyEdU Highlights: Coaching Companion for State Professional Development Systems, 30 minutes
- October 05, 2017 Discover Coaching Companion, 21 minutes
- September 03, 2017 Course Overview, 25 minutes
- August 03, 2017 Membership, Modules, and More, 23 minutes
- May 04, 2017 It Takes a Village: A Team Approach to Supporting Online Students, 25 minutes
- April 06, 2017 CEELO’s Role in Supporting an Extraordinary Professional Workforce for Young Children, 26 minutes
- March 02, 2017 Explore the Active in Interactive Learning, 27 minutes
- February 02, 2017 Modules and More, 15 minutes